Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm Hearing War Cries

Fresh news this morning:

1. The US navy is sending the USS John C. Stennis strike group (i.e. aircraft carrier and support ships) to the Persian Gulf, which as you know, is just off the coast of Iran. The Stennis will join the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and the USS Boxer strike groups already in the gulf. This brings the total number of US marines in the gulf to 20,000.
2. Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who ultimately has control over Iran's affairs and controls Ahmadinejad's actions, stated today that "...Iran will never abandon nuclear work".

This diplomatic confrontation is coming to a head and will soon break into an all-out war, unless something miraculous happens. Some Christians maintain that the "anti-Christ" is waiting in the wings and he will implement a temporary peace in the Middle East. I'm not a strong believer in that theory, but I haven't written this traditional anti-Christ theory off completely just yet. I do believe that this confrontation is more likely to explode (literally); there is too much at stake: 40% of the world's crude supplies flow through the Persian Gulf and specifically through the narrow Strait of Hormuz, which at its narrowest funnels down to a width of only 21 miles. Unfortunately, Iran forms the northern portion of this geographic funnel.
I praise God that He has all things in control, including the apocalyptic ending of this age. I'd hate to be a blind, non-Christian at this point. Pray and witness like never before, because our world may experience incredible suffering in the very near future. Personally, I don't think the Day of the Lord, as spoken of in the Bible, is very far off at all. Many people have said this in the past, but I have to look at the nuclear potential that is present in the world today which wasn't present in the past, to lead me to believe that eventually some crazy nutbar will pull the trigger to initiate a catastrophe. So many environmentalists are crying about "global warming", but I have to think this is relatively one of the smaller threats to our world at this point. I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt God will give the world enough time for the icebergs at the Poles to melt. People would do well to pay attention to their Bibles instead of watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.

No comments: